Monday, July 7, 2008

More of Kingdom of Kerry

I looked at Maura: she looked at me, and said:
"Mikey wants to know, do you like Kerry?"
I said, "Yes, I do like Kerry", and Mikey looked at Maura, who said,
"Mikey, Des says, Yes, he does like Kerry."
Mikey might as well have been speaking Gaelic, and I might have been speaking German, so Maura had to act as translator as long as we were there.
It reminds me of another time we were driving to Kerry, when we were just leaving Limerick, and had to stop for petrol, a time remote enough, that they came out to put the petrol in the car. The man was middle-aged, and also, characteristic of another age, interested in speaking to strangers. He chatted, and I responded.
When I got into the car, Maura asked, "What were you talking about. You were having such a lively conversation?"
"I have no idea."

No comments: