Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Irish Weather

"Shall I start the bar-b-cue?"
"Yes, I think you might."
We have steak for dinner on Saturday, normally about 4:00 in the afternoon, and we always bar-b-cue them, on our terrace, no matter what the weather is doing. There was heavy rain yesterday morning, although it had improved during the day. I heat the bar-b-cue for about ten minutes, and as I was going about my routine I thought that perhaps we might eat outside.
"Shall we eat on the terrace?"
"Do you think we can?"
Every decision about the outdoors tends to be marginal in Ireland.
"I think so."
"Well, then let's"
I was nervous about my suggestion, thinking it was turning colder. The steaks were cooked to perfection, which was reassuring, since I have been having trouble with my Weber gas unit. We had a lovely meal, and then sat chatting for quite a long time, enjoying the late afternoon sun.
The weather in Ireland is largely, I suggest, a state of mind: you can either make the best of it, or you can buckle under to its vagaries. I find the whole thing quite exciting. In St. Petersburg, Florida, the newspaper is free, if the sun did not shine the previous day. I have heard at least one resident say "Dash! Another sunny day".
By the way. It rained all evening, as we watched T.V.

No comments: