Thursday, December 4, 2008

Television and 'Boston Legal'

I am not an undiscriminating fan of television, and generally find that the greater part of my interest is satisfied by channel 1 of Telefis Eireann. I was surprised, therefore, when I stumbled on 'Boston Legal' recently.



My attention was first caught by William Shattner, and the change that time had made on the captain of the Starship Enterprise. In quick succession I concluded that he was constantly thinking of how he might satisfy his sexual urges, and seemed inclined to reach for the Chivas Regal, both being unusual, in my experience, for the head of a successful Boston legal practice. It quickly became clear that the majority of the partners, and staff, shared his sexual needs.

The other principal, James Spader, intrigued me for another reason. He is so brilliant that he only has to be asked to step into a case, no matter how late in the process it may be, in order to make a closing statement which is always sufficient to sway the jury, no matter how contrary their prior opinions may have been.

The gold lies in what Spader manages, in the process, to tell us about American society: that sixty per cent of American married men have had extra-marital sex, that forty per cent of all married people in America have been divorced at least once, that America insists on overseas recipients of its aid forswearing abortion, although abortion is legal, in certain circumstances, in America.

No comments: