Thursday, December 18, 2008

Our Father's Children

Every day I am confronted with new challenges: there are too many people,we must limit population growth: we are going to run out of food, because there are too many people to feed: we are going to run out of oil: the polar icecap is melting, and within tens of years ports will be flooded, and islands will be submerged.

I think about all these things, and then I think of our heavenly Father, and the way he constructed our universe. The multitude of his creations is beyond our ability to count, and yet they interact, and have done, for billions of years. We grow up believing our fathers can do anything they choose, but here we have a father who really can do whatever he chooses. Is it not a little ridiculous to suggest that he has not anticipated our needs?

I do not know the answer. I respect the concept that we should do what we can to husband our resources; that we should work to reverse man-made climate change; that we should divide the available resources equitably. I do not believe that birth-control is part of the solution.

I think our Father knows exactly how many children he wants, and that he has made provision for everything that they require.

No comments: