Monday, November 17, 2008

Sixty Minutes

I watched this CBS news programme on Sunday evening to see the first such interview of the president-elect, Barack Obama, since his convincing victory over Senator McCain.


I was, first of all, struck by the apparent lack of preparation. The Senator sat upright on something which almost appeared to be a leather-covered padded bench, directly opposite the presenter, so that there was no opportunity to look at both of them during a conversational exchange, which was, in fact, lacking. It was essentially question and answer, without any opportunity for exploration. I found it distracting that the last four or five inches of the senator's bright red tie, dangled beneath his buttoned jacket. The impression was of something which had been cobbled together at very short notice, without the opportunity for professional staging.

I did not find the senator as impressive as I had when I heard him during the campaign. I have noticed that since the election he has played down the commitments he made so generously while he was campaigning, cautioning people that they cannot expect him to do everything at once. It is, perhaps, a legitimate attitude, especially in light of the current financial situation.

It bothers me that I do not think he is prepared to let anyone inside his mind. It was only when he spoke about his children, and his wife, that I felt I might really be getting a glimpse of who Senator Obama really is.

No comments: