Saturday, November 15, 2008

Art and Something More

The Dulwich Picture Gallery in London is to loan nine paintings to the Frick, in New York. It wants to make itself, a small but renowned gallery, known to American audiences, and what better way than by displaying complementary pictures in that lovely Fifth Avenue mansion.

I cherish the memories I have of wandering idly through its rooms,admiring the paintings, and my surroundings, thinking that I was enjoying a similar experience to that of the mansion's one-time owner, without any of the trauma of ownership.

It brings back a similar memory of walking around J.P. Morgan's study, which one could do when I was first in New York. Everything was as it had been when he was alive, and you were allowed examine priceless items from as close a distance as you wished, but those days are gone.

No comments: