Thursday, August 28, 2008

A New Dublin

I got lost last week driving on the south side of town, whilst I was trying to find Kimmage Road West, so I stopped at a petrol station, where an elderly couple were standing chatting on the fore-court.
" Excuse me. I am looking for Kimmage Road West, but I'm afraid I am lost. Can you help me?"
The lady responded immediately. "Knock at the door of one of those houses across the street. They will be able to help you."
She sensed that was not the answer I had expected.
"Go in there. They will know." Motioning in the direction of the convenience store behind the pumps. At this point the man said.
"They're all Chinese. You'd have better luck if you asked them where Tibet was."
I think it was the same day that Maura drew my attention to the newspaper vendors who now sell their papers at many major traffic-light junctions.
" Des, do you notice that the young men are always black?"
I can remember when, if you saw a black person in Dublin, you knew that they were either attached to one of the diplomatic embassies, or that they were students at Trinity College.

No comments: