Monday, May 5, 2008

Spring

I think this may be my favorite season, although I have special feelings for the Fall, especially the wonderful ones that occur in New England. Perhaps it is the mystery I sense.
It has been especially cold this year, and I thought we surely won't have much of a spring this year; everything will just stay huddled in the ground. Still the daffodils came out, and blanketed every open space in the city, in that wonderful display Dublin puts on, and I remembered that nature is more concerned with the solstices than the temperature. Now the chestnut trees are in full leaf, with that beautiful green that the leaves have when they have only recently burst out of their little cocoons, while the flower clusters show us where the chestnuts will soon nestle. The days lengthen,and the earth knows, while the roots of the trees, the trunks, and the branches sense they must get ready for the surge of nutrients which will waken them for another season of life.

No comments: