Sunday, October 12, 2008

A Special Week

Eugene arrived from Australia the previous Friday, and early Sunday morning we drove up to the lookout on Howth Head. It had rained all day Saturday, into the evening, but the sky was blue, and the sun shone brightly over Dublin Bay. Dalkey, Bray Head and the Wicklow Mountains, were all clearly visible, while all of Dublin City lay just below us, to the right. I thought of Enniskerry and an early morning many years ago, when George led me across the fields behind his home, and showed me the sun just beginning to rise out of the Irish Sea.



We walked down the cliff-side until we came to what might at one time have been just a path which sheep had trodden down, and walked in the direction of the little port of Howth. The sea was several hundred feet below us, and occasionally we would pass others, including mountain bikers, enjoying this lovely public facility. After a while Ireland's Eye came into view, and soon we passed the spot where Maura and I picnicked a few weeks ago. Then, after walking out to the end of the mole we returned.



On Wednesday, again in the morning, Eugene took me out to Malahide Castle, once an English aristocrat's residence, but now a public park. I had never realised there was so much to see. It is meticulously maintained, and I plan on returning, often I hope. We then drove north, past Malahide, to Donabate, where we often spent Sundays with family, relaxing by the sea, and bar-b-cuing. The only change at the beach was that you could no longer drive on to it, to avoid erosion I would think.



Afterwards he took me up to Portrane, where the family also used gather, but which must have been before we returned to Ireland. The sea-front at Portrane is very striking. Lambay Island is quite close, providing an extra dimension to the view, which is south to Malahide. The cliffs are quite modest, compared to Howth, and there are some little beaches, which are accessible by clambering down the cliff-side. Eugene spoke of the caves which riddle the cliffs, and which they had explored, when they were boys. He also showed me the little, grassy plateau where they had their picnics.

No comments: